This 32' bay motorsailer with an 8.5 foot beam, and a 20" prop, was commisioned by Dr. Olney of Oakland during 1931-1932. She is one of two identical boats completed in 1932 by Alameda boat builder, Barney Sandstrom. She is built of teak from the decommissioned battleship U.S.S. Missouri. The hull is two layers of Port Orford cedar. She may have originally been powered by steam but now has a 40 horsepower Gray Marine gasoline engine with a 3/1 reduction transmission.
Seaweed has had quite a checkered history. We know she has been in several boat shows and took first place at least once. In the late '70's she was the command boat for the renegade Indian Richard Oaks and his troups when they wrestled Alcatraz from Federal control, claiming it as land belonging to Native Americans. Her mission was abruptly ended when her captain was accosted at knife point by one of the renegades that attempted to take the boat over for their cause.
She has played host to many colorful people on the Bay, among these a party of KGB officers interested in taking in the sights of the City during their visit with a Russian Ballet. She was also an extra in the Clint Eastwood movie, Escape from Alcatraz.
Her name may originally have been Lobo or something else possibly to do with wolves, though she has been sailing under the name of Seaweed since at least 1975. Research is ongoing for other historical data.
She was purchased in 1999 from the owners of the restaurant, "Winship" in Sausalito, where there remains a glass encased model of Seaweed on display. After spending 5 years at the Oyster Point Marina in South San francisco, she has now changed hands again and is moving to the Northeast. For more information, contact the new owner.